BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Recipe For a Stress-Free Life


I'm a pretty laid-back type. My life and my friends reflect that, for the most part. People ask me how I maintain a pretty stress-free life, so I'll tell you what my personal secret is. Gather 'round reeeeal close, now.

1. Live somewhere you love. For me, growing up in Austin was completely awesome because I loved live music, I got to meet and hang out with COOL (not snobby) "famous people" in my teen years seems like every week, amazing thunderstorms (if you like that sort of thing) and living out in the Hill Country was nice, too. Now I'm living in Idaho where the foothills of the Rocky Mtns are right outside my door and a short drive will take you to Heaven and back.

2. Choose your friend
s wisely. Seriously, this one's a biggie. I know so many people who are miserable all the time because they or their friends have dragged them into drama, getting stuck in a cycle that never ends. I've never been one for cliques. They can be a lot of fun, but they can also be a ticking time bomb.

3. Dress comfortably. You know those types...the ones that dress for "the look" and dress for high fashion to keep up an image. I've never cared about that. Sure, I can clean up really well when an occasion might call for it, but that's rare for me these days. This is a girl that went to the VIP post-Grammy's party in jeans and a t-shirt, while observing women in gowns trying to pry off their high heels to slip on the freebie fuzzy slippers in the gift bags given out. Sucks to be them!

4. Find a hobby. MY hobbies, however, tend to be expensive. I keep telling myself that I need to find cheaper hobbies that are just as enjoyable, but...nahhhh!

5. NO KIDS!! Okay, I realize this isn't going to fly with everyone. My personality and lifestyle is as such that kids just don't fit into the picture very well. It's not something I need to fill a void in my being like it is for others. I don't have to worry about poopy diapers, screaming, first dates, the expense, babysitters, waiting for them to move out, etc. If you think
that's the spice of life, then more power to ya!

6. Live within your means. Yes, it IS humanly possible to own no credit cards! Wait, let me offer one suggestion, though -- have 1 credit card with a max limit of $1000.00 and occasionally buy small things and pay them right off. This will maintain you some sort of credit history. It's a catch 22. I never wanted a credit card but HAD to break down and get one to build any sort of credit. It may take longer to save up for the things you want and need, but it sure feels good to OWN them (without interest).

7. Invest in a COMFORTABLE BED. Tempurpedic, Sleep Number, Simmons Beauty Rest... whatever feels amazing to you, is made well and will last a long time...BUY IT. You'll thank me the rest of your life.

8. Buy/create/acquire *things* to surround yourself with that make you happy. You can call me materialistic, but, honestly, if you have things in your home that remind you of a place, a time or a something that brings joy to your life...how could you argue with that?

9. Laugh a lot and love yourself. This needs no elaboration. Interpret the latter part however you wish. heheh

As you can see, none of the above include massive amounts of caffeine, tobacco, narcotics, feng shui, spa retreats, yoga lessons or shopping trips to the mall. AND YET I keep my sanity! Wondering why I left "Get a job you love" out of the list? Yes, it's important to like the work you do, but it's equally important that IF you don't like the work you do, don't take it home with you when the work day is over.

And there you have it. Take what you will from my recipe and run with it. Keep me posted :-)

0 comments: