BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Catie Curtis & Patty Larkin: Music To My Ears

[REPOST from my MySpace blog on Jan. 28, 2005]

Well, I just got home from a Catie Curtis & Patty Larkin concert at beautiful Sanders Theatre on the Harvard campus. We took the "T" in (subway), tried not to slip on the sidewalks walking through Harvard Yard and I somehow made it to the venue without my ears falling off or my cheeks enduring frostbite. (Note to self: Remember to have a scarf handy on Winter nights here) Fortunately there was hot cocoa and chocolate chip cookies waiting there for this tired and hungry girl before the show began.

We got front row center and I managed to not get a kink in my neck from looking up for so long. Sometimes I prefer 3rd row over front row for that very reason. I don't know why, but I had thought Patty Larkin was opening for Catie. Turns out, it was the other way around, but I convinced Lisa to stay and watch the second half (Patty). After my ignorance had worn off, I realized that Patty Larkin has something like 20 years on Catie as a singer/songwriter, AND she's on a major record label. What was I thinking!? This was our first time seeing either of them, and I'm sure glad we decided to go.

Catie did a full set and her special surprise guest was Mark Erelli. He's one of the few male singer/songwriters that I really enjoy. Catie gave us the news that she and her partner were able to adopt a 7 or 8 month old little girl last week, an addition to their other 2 year old daughter. Coincidentally, Patty Larkin (who is in her 50's) also has a little one... and they were both oogling throughout the night about their kids. Now, I'm not one for mushy stories about people's kidlets, but some of them were downright hilarious. Patty had me ALMOST falling off the bench onto the floor laughing with her tales of the recent blizzard here in Eastern Massachusetts (she lives out on the Cape) and other subjects. If it weren't enough that she was a virtual "comedienne," she is also an amazing guitar player and singer/songstress.

I got to meet Catie and Patty after the show, too. I also couldn't resist getting a couple of things signed by them. It must be the kid in me. What a great threesome of musicians tonight, though! The only thing that almost ruined the evening was when we had to wait for the "T" for 45 minutes afterwards. Grrrrr!!

0 comments: