BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The End of An Era: So Long, Farrah and MJ...



On the 25th, we all received word that the legendary Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died...Farrah from her long battle with cancer and MJ from cardiac arrest, possibly from medications administered to him by his personal physician. Just a couple of days prior, on June 23rd, Ed "Heeeeeere's Johnny!" McMahon also died at the age of 86. The news of Michael's death spurred a fury of online searches causing a virtual web traffic jam. Our Charlie's Angel and our King of Pop are now gone, may they finally rest without pain and paparazzi.

Yesterday, as I was on the way back from a fun event...I was called and told that the iconic pitchman for so many of our "as seen on TV" miracle products, Billy Mays, had died the day after a hard US Airways landing. I was able to catch his most recent episode of "Pitchmen" which I found to be funny and enlightening to the true gentle nature of this loud and seemingly annoying personality on tv. He was anything but. He was the father to a 20-something step-son and a 3 year old daughter that adored him as much as he did her.

This is not to say that I feel more sorrow for celebrity deaths as I do for those closer to me, as this isn't the case at all. They are simply shocking losses of people very much in the public eye, especially as I was growing up (except for Billy Mays). I feel so sad for their family and dear friends, and it brings many things into perspective for me. What will it be like when I lose someone close to me, now that I am an adult and can truly understand the reality, impact and emotions behind it? I don't look forward to that day.

P.S. if you Twitter, you probably encountered some serious Fail Whale.

0 comments: